Monday, March 16, 2009

Crazy Straw Kind of Day

Everyday, when I stumble in my faith, I think of the apostle Peter. The “Rock” of the church who walked with Jesus, who possessed incredible faith, yet did as Jesus predicted, “before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.” Matthew 26:34.

He had the power to speak so eloquently that he converted three thousand people one day. Sometimes, like us, (I’m including you with me here, hope you don't mind) he spoke before thinking.

Peter, the man who “walked on the water” (!) before sinking because he was afraid. Jesus reached out his hand and pulled him to safety. “You of little faith,” Jesus said, “why did you doubt?” Matthew 14:31.

Sometimes it’s hard to see Jesus’ hand at work in our lives. We doubt, we sin, we fear, we fail. Then we get down on our knees and look up. And Jesus is always there. He will not let us drown. (Unless, of course, we're literally drowning. In which case we probably wouldn't be on our knees.)

We may feel completely under water (in more ways than one), stranded with nothing but a kids’ curly crazy straw in our mouths. We stretch to stick the straw out of the water. We get just enough air between waves to survive. But we survive. And we grow. And eventually we thrive again.

If you are having a crazy straw kind of day, remember, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

May the Lord bless your day. If you stumble, picture Peter sinking into the water, smile, know that you are loved, and keep walking toward Jesus.

2 comments:

KristieNoelle said...

Thank for inviting me - I love your blog and this entry was timely today. open minded and inclusive and honest writing. Right on! I hope you'll se me around here a bit.

Colbie (Colbert Report forums)

Cheeky Church Lady in Training said...

Hi KristieNoelle, thanks for visiting! I hope you do come again. Nice to see a Colbie here! Let me know when you get your blog up and running. Love the title. I always take the window seat. Unless of course the aisle is available :) - Cheeky

Post a Comment

Comments will be displayed after moderator review.