Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Scarlet "D"

On my birthday six years ago, my ex-husband moved out of the home we were supposed to share happily-ever-after. It was the worst birthday I’ve ever had. But it wasn’t without its gifts.

For the better part of the past six years, I was encumbered by an ugly, itchy, surely-obvious-to-the-entire-world-even-from-outer-space Scarlet Letter "D." Much like Hester Prynne’s Scarlet Letter "A," or a hideous version of Laverne’s "L" from the Laverne & Shirley show.

Do you ever feel like you’re wearing a Scarlet Letter "D?" Do you think that when Paul wrote, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him" (Romans 8:28), he meant “except for divorce?”

As we journey toward healing from divorce, our perspectives evolve. From where I’m standing, at least most days, I can see the gifts associated with my Scarlet "D." Navigating the difficulties of divorce is our daily reality. Equally ours are the blessings we find along the way.

In Luke 18:14, Jesus says: “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” Divorce is humbling, without a doubt. But that, in the end, turns out to be a gift.

May you treasure the gifts God has in store for you today. Keep smiling. The Lord is with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be displayed after moderator review.