Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What Are You Thinking?

"A man is what he thinks about all day long." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

What is on your mind today? Besides perhaps wondering what the heck Emerson's quote has to do with this picture? I see your point. The picture really does not have much to do with the quote.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

OK, so that's WAY easier said than done.

I did have a point...

Oh yes, I think Philippians 4:6 tells us that we should not dwell merely in anxious questions or possible-future-scenario projections. And Ralph Waldo Emerson says that we are what we think. So we should avoid worry and think positively, right?

And yes, that was (almost) completely for my own benefit.

What are you spending your time thinking about today? If you could ask God one question right now, what would it be? And of course I know that you know that you can totally ask Him anything at anytime. Just thought it would be fun to share.

Thanks for reading, ladies and gentlemen. You are in my (completely) unanxious (I know this is not actually a word) prayers this day. xoxox, Cheeky

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved the 'do not be anxious' verse, so soothing and calming. My question is --how to make it work in reality? If all I had to do was 'not be anxious' I would do it before I got out of be in the morning. Is there a revised Bible verse for those with controlling personalities?? :) I tend to pray, give my worries over to God and then snatch them back again as if I were in control. Help! Suggestions? Have a good day everyone

Cheeky Church Lady in Training said...

Hi Anonymous,
Thanks so much for sharing your question! I'm hoping someone else will pipe in here but wanted to say I often have same question which is why Phil 4:8 is underlined and triple starred in my everyday Bible :)

Phil 4:7 is good, too: "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts..." and Phil 4:8 "whatever is true, whatever is noble...think about such things"

If you don't have a Bible handy, BibleGateway.com is great resource for looking up full verses. Thanks again for sharing and I hope you have a blessed day.

xox, Cheeky

Anonymous said...

OK, I hate to be irreverant, but my questions are more along the lines of, "Who really shot JFK?" And, "What really happened to Mick's cute little blue/green-striped Gymboree sock that entered the dryer, never to be seen again?" Or better yet, "What is WITH the 9 months of pregnancy, anyway? Eight months would be good enough -- they're practically baked and can finish cooking outside."

Cheeky Church Lady in Training said...

Hi there, Thanks for sharing! I don't think you're being irreverant at all. I think your questions are a sign of a person content w/God and living the life He intended for you. xoxox, Cheeks

Post a Comment

Comments will be displayed after moderator review.