Saturday, April 25, 2009

Age of Good Intentions

I think they (the people who name things) should reconsider the term “middle age.”

Really, it should be called the “Age of Good Intentions” because that’s what the middle years are full of. Besides, some of us - I mean, "people" hate that term.

As parents of young children and children of aging parents, we are constantly stretched Pokey/Gumby-style 20 different directions.

This past week I stole some time out of my others-centered schedule to dine with dear friends. While we gathered over cocktails and a delectable family style dinner, one friend offered, “I meant to pick up three belated birthday cards and give them to you guys.” We went, “Awwwhhhh…that’s so sweet.” She thought of us.

Another friend told me, "I meant to pick up a style book for you." I don’t remember if I actually said “Awwwhhh,” (probably not, I’m kind of rude that way) but I did think it.

I've intended to be a better friend to all of them every day for the past 25 years.

You know what? I'm glad we’re finally old enough to believe what Mom has said all along. It really is “the thought that counts.”

In this hot mess of middle life, the fact that we enter each other’s minds at all is a gift. We might be too busy or forgetful to follow through, but our good intentions for one another are good enough. Great, in fact. It’s wonderful to simply be thought of.

So ladies, thanks for your good intentions; in return I give you mine.

Just a heads-up -- when we’re 80, the kids are gone, and our money is our own once again, I’ll be expecting some stellar gifts.

Have a beautiful Saturday, ladies. I’m off to volunteer for Compassion International.
“Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.’ “ (Matthew 19:14).
If you want to know more about Compassion International, click on the link somewhere over that way -->.

You are in my prayers! xoxo, Cheeks

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, I loved this one b/c I was there!! And I thought of you yesterday, too. Mick had a rugby game at Mtka M.S. West -- further west of you off hwy 7 and Cty 41 (I think). The temp dropped 20 degrees and the wind increased by at least 500 mph. I was in capris. I thot, "I wonder how far to Susan's to get a BLANKET?!" But then I'd stay for some coffee and miss the game....! As for the stellar gifts when we're 80, AMEN!!!

Anonymous said...

Cheeky,
Have a glorious Saturday yourself! I am going to try and be a role model for my neighbors, who, I am sure realize I do not have a clue as to what I am doing and fertilize my lawn in case it should rain! Later in the day I am going to join up with gals to attend a Wedding and know that these wonderful friends will be with me when I am 80 and most likely still single!

Anonymous said...

Loved the blog!! I was also one of the lucky ones that was there. Don't be surprised this week when you are sent something in the mail. (I bought it before I read the blog) Of course you might not get it for awhile, because it actually entails going to the post office. But be assured the thought is there. 80 seems so far off, I am just trying to get to next week. Grandma's 95th. Got to love that.

Cheeky Church Lady in Training said...

Thanks guys, for your comments! Girlfriends are treasures sent from Heaven. xoxox, Susan a.k.a. Cheeky

don said...

if i had a girlfriend i reckon i'd be thinking of her all the time too. glad to know it's the thought that counts.

Anonymous said...

It's only been a short while, but it was almost instant that I thought, "...I am so grateful that I have had this opportunity to meet this woman..." then there have been ALL the "degrees of separation" that we've laughed about, and been surprised about.
In short...so grateful to have met, and REALLY hopeful to accomplish something to soar to the next adventure!
Book? Don't let anything stop you, you're a really gifted writer!

Post a Comment

Comments will be displayed after moderator review.