Friday, April 17, 2009

Stephen Colbert: Love at First Sight

A wonderful thing happened while my children were frolicking in Mexico with their other Mother during Spring Break. I discovered Stephen Colbert.

For six nights I slept in a friend's spare room because I don’t like being home alone in the dark. As if my kids somehow protect me when they're here?

Being in the company of good friends distracted me from thoughts of drug-addled thugs targeting my children. And BONUS: my friends have cable TV.

I needed laughter more than ever that week, so we watched a lot of Comedy Central. This is how I came to know and love Stephen Colbert.

By his own frequent admission, he is majestically handsome. His TV persona is so over-the-top, I have to be in a good mood to enjoy it. But most days, I find him wicked funny.

Colbert is also a committed Christian. The Washington Times weblogs had this to say about his show:
"Much of the religious content in Mr. Colbert's show is often portrayed through a lens of irony. 'What is worthy of satire is the misuse of religion for destructive or political gains,' he [Colbert] said. 'That's totally different from the Word, the blood, the body and the Christ. His kingdom is not of this earth.' " (Click here to see full text.)
"The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever." 1 John 2:17.

Here on Earth, I know I’ll never meet Stephen Colbert. But I do plan to hang with him in Heaven. Between my many tennis matches with Serena Williams. Which I plan to always win.

Colbert's interview with Bart Ehrman, April 9, 2009, is brilliant! He allows Ehrman (an atheist) to promote his book while Colbert simultaneously advances the cause of Christ. If you're in the mood for satire today, check it out:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/224128/april-09-2009/bart-ehrman

What do you think about Stephen Colbert?

Happy Friday, ladies!! You are in my prayers.
xoxox,
Cheeky

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheeky, Welcome to the Colbert bandwagon! I have been a fan since he was a regular with Jon Stewart on the Daily show. My favorite is how he pokes fun at people (including himself) who tend to take things too seriously. Plus he seems to be a very smart man. If you don't have cable can you keep up with him with Comedy Central online? enjoy the summer weather

Anonymous said...

I agree; I think he's incredibly clever. I was so happy to discover him.

And yes, I have watched way too many Colbert clips on-line this month. Also recently watched his 2006 roast of President Bush at the White House Correspondents Dinner. Man, was that brave (Colbert for doing, not me for watching :).

Thanks for your comments. I hope you enjoy the beautiful weather as well.

chloe said...

you are my favourite church lady, cheeky. ;) thanks for inviting us here. the Nation is so very fortunate to have you!

Post a Comment

Comments will be displayed after moderator review.