Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Passion of the Christ

Have you seen this movie? I've heard some people watch it every year around this time.

I haven't seen it since soon after its release in 2004. My reaction was mixed and intense.

I remember thinking, "This is sensationalism." I was repelled, "I wish they hadn't shown that." I questioned some of the details.

Yet I cried (bawled) through most of the movie. I was deeply humbled and aggrieved. "I can't believe what Jesus went through for us" was a frequent gut-wrenching thought.

One scene in particular seared my heart.
After Jesus utters “It is finished” (John 19:30) they show his mother's reaction to his death. The sorrow in her eyes is positively haunting. I didn’t want to look at her, as if this was a private moment to which I shouldn’t be privy. Yet the agony she conveyed was so gripping I could not look away.
That’s when I really lost it.

I was heavy with guilt and sorrow for a few days after that. Now when I think of how Jesus suffered, I often think of Mary as well. Thanks a lot, Mel Gibson! Seriously.

Do you think about it much? If you've seen the movie, please share your impressions.
xox, Cheeky

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was humbled too. I thought is was well done and worth the time. It does make me thinking about what Jesus went through for us. So for that reason alone it is a wonderful movie! I haven't watched it since it came out, but I can still remember how it made me feel. There were many tears for me too, both sad and happy.

Cheeky Church Lady in Training said...

Hi j,
Thanks for sharing your impressions. It's definitely a film that sticks with you. Have a blessed Easter.
-Cheeky

Post a Comment

Comments will be displayed after moderator review.